Gardening is so much more than pottering around at the back of your house - specialist horticulture professionals work in public parks and gardens, green spaces, historical gardens, for private clients tending to their gardens and so much more!
As a horticulture apprentice, you could find yourself tending to the gardens and surrounding estate of all kinds of places - ultimately, where you work will determine how your day-to-day work looks and you could find yourself working on several gardens at a time, or be permanently based looking after a garden in a fancy estate.
What Skills Will I Learn as A Horticulture Apprentice?
Although again the work you do will vary depending on where you work, horticulture apprentices can expect to learn such things including:
- Understanding of the importance of green spaces and using horticultural skills to improve and maintain these spaces
- Working in line with a businesses' values and working to complete projects
- Communicating and working alongside experienced horticulture professionals
- Health and safety, including work safely with potentially dangerous equipment such as pole pruners
- Environmental factors including waste and waste reduction, recycling and being environmentally-sound in all the work you're doing
- Plant growth and development, including identification, using the correct nutrients and the science behind plant growing
- Using a wide range of tools, equipment and machinery related to horticulture
- Soil science and how to cultivate soils for different purposes
Register your interest in an Apprenticeship
If you can’t find a current Apprenticeship vacancy below that you are interested in, please use the short form further down the page to register your interest with the EDC Apprenticeship Team and they will contact you as a vacancy becomes available in the area(s) you are interested in.
Please check out the live Apprenticeship vacancies below that are currently being advertised with some great organisations we are working with.
If you haven’t used the www.findapprenticeship.service.gov.uk Opens Government Apprentice site in a new window before you must create an account Opens Government site to register in a new window to apply. Creating an account allows you to:
- apply for an apprenticeship or traineeship
- track your apprenticeship applications
- receive alerts about new apprenticeships